ES2007S- Professional Communication

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Evaluating intercultural behavior

During the last school vacation, I went on a summer programme to Toronto. It was indeed an eye-opener for me as the culture between Canada and Singapore was really different. I remembered there was one time we visited a fast food restaurant over there and I asked politely for chili sauce after I noticed that chili sauce was not provided as was the norm in Singapore. The lady at the counter looked confused at what I had just said. I thought she might not have heard clearly what I had said, so I repeated my request slightly louder. Again, she can’t seem to understand. So, this time I said I wanted ‘hot sauce’, hopeful that she might understand. But again, to no avail, then I gave up, feeling a little pissed and annoyed that she cannot understand me after many repetitions. The lady looked apologetic. I returned to my seat with the tray of food without my comfort food, chili sauce. I realized ketchup and mustard seemed to be the only sauce that they ate.

With regard to this incident, I would think it could be a problem of difference in accent or the food culture. Westerners are generally not known to be fans of spicy food. Even the red chili there costs more. They might have been confused over why would anyone asked for chili sauce while I was confused over why would a fast food restaurant not provide any chili sauce. On the other hand, it could also be a problem of accent. I remembered I had to repeat my sentences on various occasions.

This incident showed that when communicating with people of different country and culture, we have to be patient and empathetic. Accents and pronunciation can indeed confuse listeners across culture despite a common language, moreover the difference in our food culture just adds on to the confusion in this situation.

4 Comments:

  • Hi Elaine,

    I agreed with you that different accent make cause reduced the effectiveness of communication. It’s an skill that one must learn.

    I personally had the same experienced with you too when I went over to Canada for a holiday trip with my family. It is indeed in a situation like what we Chinese says, “A conversation between a duck and a chicken”. I couldn’t catch what they saying and on the other hand, they couldn’t understand us too. I’m a lover of chili sauce too. In their cultural norm, is hard to find chili sauce at their fast food restaurant.

    The worse part comes when my sister and I went for a shopping trip. We really had a hard time trying to bring across our ideas to the sales assistant there. All of us were quite pissed off about the ineffective communication, but ultimately, I can understand them better by stepping into their shoes. Working as a retails assistant before, I met different customers from all over the world, talking patiently is what I learned. It really helped a lot by greeting them with a smile too.

    Cheers!
    Wendy

    By Blogger -wendy-, At September 26, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

  • Hi Elaine,

    I find your observation an interesting one. I never knew they do not offer chili sauce overseas (but perhaps that is because I don't take chili)! Chili sauce in Singapore is like the quintessential ingredient to every single dish, such that when ordering food, one has to specifically tell the waiter not to add chili sauce if they do not want it. Accent in communication always did play a part in creating troubles. Being patient and opening one's ears wide is the key to this barrier.

    I think whenever we visit another country, we always have to check out the society differences they have, especially to countries like Japan or Islamic countries. This would avoid social embarrassment and also prevent unintentionally breaking their laws. It is a form of respect, just like what we expect tourist to behave like when they are in Singapore.

    By Blogger Unknown, At September 27, 2008 at 2:34 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Wen Jie, At September 29, 2008 at 12:32 AM  

  • Although a common language is used, it is still usually difficult for a native English speaker to understand our Singaporean accent. Hence, I agree that we need to be patient while communicating with them. As Canadians usually call chilli sauce as ‘hot sauce’, I feel that it was good that you tried to speak in their language. However, you could convey the message better by trying to speak in their accent too. It is quite effective as I’ve tried it! If their accent is too difficult to imitate, I would usually clarify my message using different phrases and hopefully they could pick up a few words and guess what I was trying to tell them.

    However, if food culture is the main reason for your intercultural conflict in this case, I suggest you bring your own chlli sauce when you patronise their restaurant!

    By Blogger Wen Jie, At September 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home