ES2007S- Professional Communication

Friday, November 14, 2008

Reflection =)

Time really flies, we have come to the final blog post for ES2007S. I have really learned a lot from this module and enjoyed the process greatly. My understanding of the values of effective communication has indeed increased since the first blog post. I know how effective communication is applicable in so many areas, in our everyday interaction with people, in academics, job search and also in the workplace. From the written to oral communication, I can say I am equipped with the skills and techniques after taking this module.

Working on the group project has allowed me to hone my communication skill and on building interpersonal relationship. I have gained invaluable friendships in the process. Through the project, I am also able to apply the techniques and skills of written and oral communication that I have learned in class into practice.

This module has also taught me about job search communication. Writing resume and persuasive application letter do not seem so daunting to me now. I understand how practicing effective written communication on our resume and application letter can be that crucial in enabling us to clinch that desired job. In addition, the mock interview and lists of interview questions are indeed useful. I am also able to draft business correspondents and meeting minutes. These skills are indeed very relevant in the future.

Through this module, I understand the complexity of communication better now and appreciate the importance of effective communication more. Able to practice effective communication is indeed an invaluable skill. Overall, I have gained much from this module. I am sure these skills would definitely help me in the workforce which I am going to enter soon.

4 Comments:

  • Hi Elaine,

    Glad that you have learnt and enjoyed a lot from this module!

    I also felt that writing a persuasive application letter was a difficult task initially. However,it was not as bad as I have imagined after proper guidelines were introduced to us.

    Indeed, I felt that the mock interviews were very useful as I have learnt new ways to tackle difficult questions. I used to feel that interviewers are always demeaning towards candidates. However, the lesson on job interviews has helped me changed this false impression as those difficult questions that interviewers would usually ask are the only ways to understand us better within such a short interviewing time.

    I am sure that the lessons learnt from this module are going to help us a lot when we step into the real working world.

    All the best in your upcoming exams!

    By Blogger Wen Jie, At November 17, 2008 at 11:56 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Sherine, At November 17, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

  • Hi Elaine!

    I also thought the mock interview and the questions was indeed useful, despite dreading it and all. Haha. It will definitely help you and me when we look for jobs in the future.
    At least now I know what to expect and am able to prepare for it. Going through the mock interview with you guys also made me realise an interview doesn't have to be scary. Thanks a lot for that!

    Till then, good luck for your exams! ^_^

    By Blogger Sherine, At November 17, 2008 at 4:18 PM  

  • Hi Elaine,

    Am glad to hear that you enjoyed the learning process and that you now feel equipped with the necessary skills to handle the various communicative situations that you face whether it be in the office or with friends and family members.

    Thanks for all your hard work and effort.

    All the best as you apply the skills learnt especially in your job search!

    By Blogger grace kim, At December 8, 2008 at 2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home